After a busy time of late with a baby daughter to help look after, some demanding academic tasks, and the final revisions of my first book to hand in, I now have a bit of spare time to start the kind of website I’ve been meaning to write for years. You’ll already be able to have a look around and discover a bit about me and my publications, both academic and general interest. But the main purpose of this website will be the blog.
I plan mainly to blog about my own field, cognitive neuroscience, with a particular focus on consciousness research. Speaking of which, my first series of posts will provide an introduction to consciousness from various angles, and the provisional plan for this is:
1) Consciousness’s background and import
2) The philosophy of consciousness and science’s response
3) How one goes about scientifically testing consciousness (in general terms), followed by:
4) One prominent scientific paper on consciousness, which I will go through step by step.
5) My own views on the subject, which relate to my book, The Ravenous Brain
At the same time, though, I plan to blog on any intriguing scientific papers or stories I find, or on progress in my own research, as well as any activities I participate in that others might want to hear about.
And the advantage of having one’s own website means I have the freedom to write whatever I like – I’m a passionate person, with an over-active mind and too many opinions, so some of these will no doubt spill over onto these pages as well!
I’m excited about this new avenue to communicate my views and really hope that you’re not shy to comment, so that we can have lots of discussions along the way.